Friday, June 7, 2013

Friday Five: What I Do for Fun

Welcome to this week’s Friday Five. If you haven’t been here before, this is nothing more than my random rambling about something that interests me, with a list of five, in no particular order. This week’s list is five things I do for fun. Hope you enjoy!

Five Things I Do for Fun
 

Movies: I’ve always loved to go to the movies, for as long as I can remember. It doesn’t matter if it’s romance, sci-fi, horror, comedy, drama, whatever . . . I love them all. Well, okay, I don’t love them all, but I love the experience of seeing a movie, and then having the chance to either love it, like it, or hate it. Doesn’t matter, I still want to see them all.

Ride My Bike: I’m talking my Harley here, not a pedal bike. Bicycles seem like way too much work to be fun. However, straddling the Harley and going sixty down a lonesome, scenic highway, or winding up through a canyon at thirty is pretty much one of the most fun things I can imagine doing. I’ve done a lot of fun rides, seen a lot of amazing things and places, and gotten ideas for quite a few books while pursuing this particular hobby. My hubby got me riding, and I’m sure glad he did. This is a fun thing we both enjoy doing together.
 

Playing Hand and Foot: This is a card game probably known by more names and with more different sets of rules than most others, so you may or may not have heard of it. It takes a minimum of four players and a maximum of eight (you play in teams). I’m not sure why this particular card game appeals to me so much, but I’ve never played a game and then wished I hadn’t.
 

Go to Lunch with My Girlfriends: This is an activity that doesn’t happen nearly often enough as far as I’m concerned. Probably only once every couple of months or so, but I look forward to it every time. I happen to have a fantastic group of friends, which still amazes me considering I’m an introvert and went years without a single girlfriend. Now, I can’t imagine living without them. If you don’t have a group of friends you can lean on, I suggest you get one, quick!
 

Hang Out with My Kids: I saved the best for last on this one. I’m never far from the conscious thought about how lucky I am to have the kids I do. They’re such great kids, all of them. I’m really grateful that, at least so far, they all like me still. And they like to hang out with me. I have great geek conversations with my oldest son (who I sometimes podcast with on his podcast Geek Revolution Radio). No one understands or enjoys our conversations as much as we do—except maybe my daughter’s boyfriend who I’m proud to say is a geek. My next son has been in the Air Force for almost five years and so you’d think it would be awkward when we’re together since he left right out of high school and has been in Germany or elsewhere since, but it isn’t. He makes me laugh like no other, such a funny kid. My oldest daughter has grown into this remarkable young woman who I can talk to for hours on end. She amazes me at every turn with how great she is. Sometimes we’re up way too late just talking about anything and everything. My youngest daughter is probably the closest to me. We’ve just always been really attached, maybe because she’s my baby, maybe just because that’s who we are. She’s dealt with a lot of harshness in her life (she’s Type I diabetic and has Celiac) and yet she just does what’s necessary to take care of herself. She has the greatest laugh in the world. I can’t begin to imagine my life without this particular chickadee. And lucky me, I got two amazing daughters-in-law who I love to death, and who I have as much fun hanging out with as I do my own kids. Actually, that’s not right because they are now my own kids as well. They grew up as best friends, married brothers, and are now sisters. Overall, it’s a pretty good gig I have going here.
 
I created the Friday Five graphic from an original image copyrighted by: <a href='http://www.123rf.com/photo_10806220_number-five.html'>marincas_andrei / 123RF Stock Photo</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment