Thursday, August 15, 2013

Fairytales and Happiness

Yesterday was a bit of a drag due to some things going on in my life when voila, out of the blue I get a message on Facebook from Valerie at One Reader's Ramblings telling me she'd reviewed Enchanted Fairytales. And what a review! Completely turned my day around and gave me the happy's (yes, I know it's not a word). So thank you, thank you, thank you Valerie!

You can read her review at her site here, or just read it below!


Once Upon a Time, in a land far away, is the beginning of many stories that we now know as Fairytales.  These are stories passed down through the centuries.  They have been adapted through the ages from oral tradition to written works by numerous sources.  Some of the most well-known names  begin with Charles Perrault’s Mother Goose Tales, then came the Brothers Grimm’s Children’s and Household Tales, and then eventually this type of story was called “fairy-tales” by Hans Christian Anderson.  

In modern days we have come to equate Disney with Fairytales despite their loose interpretations of the stories told though the ages.  But even Disney still had a formula for the tales told long ago and far away.

So what happens to those same stories when you take out the “long ago” and “far away” aspect?  Why you get some pretty modern, hip stories that make you fall in love with Fairytales all over again.  That’s what Cindy C. Bennett has done in her Enchanted Fairytales.  She has once again re-invented the time tested stories and told them is a completely charming and yet utterly modern way.

So what do you get when Beauty puts on her ripped blue jeans and is blackmailed into spending time with a horribly disfigured young man? Why only the greatest re-telling of Beauty and the Beast ever!

And then there is Ruby with her flaming red hair that earns her an only too familiar nickname.  And the wolf?  Well, I don’t want to ruin the surprise, but just let me tell you… you’ll fall in love with this feisty young woman. 

I know Snow White has been re-told a thousand times lately, but this time it has soul.  None of the whole “meet one time and then a kiss to awaken her.”  They actually spend time together and the love is genuine. 

And who could forget Cinderella?  Only one stepsister this time, but isn’t it great to have a “prince” who doesn’t forget the face of the women he fell madly in love with and have to use a shoe to find her?!  Once again the romance is genuine because of the time they spend getting to know each other.

White Swan is the one story that I really don’t know much about and have even had a hard time tracking down a source.  It would seem that the Russian ballet, Swan Lake is the most closely related to this story, but I do not know that much about it.  What I do know is that Bennett’s story captured my interest completely.  I loved the tale of the sisters who turn into swans by day and how they must find a way to break the curse.    

Some of these stories hold a bit of magic, but not in the way the books I typically read do.  These short stories are truly Fairytales and their enchantment holds true even 200 years after the Grimm brothers put them to paper.  Thank you Cindy Bennett for making such classics relevant for today.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read all of these yet. But I did get the chance to read the Beauty and the Beast story. I really enjoyed it. I finished the book in one night. I found it new and enticing. The book pulled me in, even though I basically knew how it would play out because of the original. I love how Cindy Bennett took these tales and made them modern. I am excited to read the other tales she has written. I am also glad I finally found someone else who appreciates fairy tales like I do. I thought I was the only one who still loved to read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked that one, Brittany. I'll be honest, it's my favorite one of the bunch, if an author is allowed to have a favorite. :o)

      Delete