Friday, August 23, 2013

Friday Five







Welcome to this week’s Friday Five. If you haven’t been here before, this is nothing more than my random rambling about something that interests me, with a list of five, in no particular order. This week’s list is Five Book Series I Could Read Over and Over. Hope you enjoy!

Five Book Series I Could Read Over and Over (Part I: Traditionally Published)

I wanted to talk about my favorite series of books, but realized 5 just wasn’t a high enough number. Therefore I decided to go with two different lists: one of traditionally published (Big Six) and one of indie authors (small press or self-published). This week I’ll give you the traditionally published list, and next week the indie list, so be sure to come back next Friday!

The Maximum Ride Series by James Patterson: This YA series by Patterson about a group of kids who have wings due to some genetic engineering is really fascinating. The “flock” of kids are led by Max, a girl with sarcasm to spare, and Fang, the hottie that really belongs with Max. The characters are well fleshed out, the storyline frustrating (which is good, means good suspense), and completely intriguing. Love this series of books.

The Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon: The first book in the series is the best, which isn’t a good thing for an ongoing series, but luckily the following books are still good enough to keep your interest. The second book is probably my least favorite because there’s just waaay too much boring history and not enough Jamie. Overall, though, a really good series. If nothing else, read the first book, which is one of the most amazing books ever written.


The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer: Make fun if you want, I don’t care. I happen to think these four books are good, interesting, fast reads. There are a lot of haters out there, but for every one of those haters there must be like ten lovers if the numbers of book and movie ticket sales are any indication. Bella is a fairly boring heroine, I admit, but Edward and the rest of the Cullen clan make up for it. So yes, these are books I’ll read again.




The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins: Love these books so much I was seriously worried they’d screw up the movie (much as they did with Twilight). I was beyond pleased when I discovered they’d actually done the book justice. These books are panned a lot for being too violent, but I’d like to remind people that not only are they fiction, they’re set in a pretty unrealistic setting, so I don’t think we have to worry about actual Hunger Games happening anytime soon.



The Odd Thomas Series by Dean Koontz: This series is a bit of a departure for Koontz from his usual horror—not to say these aren’t creepy books. I mean, Odd Thomas (the MC’s name) can see dead people, both good and evil, and has a creepy/sweet love story with a particular dead waitress. You can’t help but love Odd, and wish he would just stay out of danger rather than feeling his gifts require him to help the living by getting mixed up with the dead.



I created the Friday Five graphic from an original image copyrighted by: marincas_andrei / 123RF Stock Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment