Thursday, April 14, 2016

Spring Countdown Blitz - Day 10




In a candid and witty memoir, Jodi recounts how her life was transformed when, as a thirty-three-year-old wife and mother, she was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor. Unwilling to accept her new fate, Jodi's family searches for a doctor who will join their fight against the odds. But when the surgery that could save her life thrusts her into battle with a devastating spinal fluid leak and facial paralysis, even her own children fear her new appearance and physical failings. Jodi perseveres, even with an injured body and spirit. Interweaving the inspiring, provoking, and sometimes disturbing, Jodi reveals the hells and highs of her journey as she fights for hope and purpose—and life.







Jodi Orgill Brown is inspired by people who live fulfilled lives in spite of their struggles. She loves spending time with her muses, namely, her husband Tolan, and their four children, Trenden, Lindi, Casen, and Daven. Her favorite outing locations include Hebgen Lake, Montana, Hawaii’s North Shore, the rolling hills and woods of Virginia, the Weber River Parkway Trail, and even her own backyard. 

When she is not writing, reading, or enjoying family time, you'll find Jodi visiting neighbors or having lunch with a girlfriend on 25th Street in Ogden. She loves learning principles through analogies and she discovers inspiration all around her, from nature, stories, friends, and especially from her children. Jodi holds a BA in communications from Brigham Young University, an MS in organizational communications and leadership from the University of Utah, and is a Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE). She is the founder of Amplio Development, and is dedicated to living and teaching personal improvement. She resides in northern Utah with her husband and their four children. 

Book Jodi as a keynote speaker, consultant, or presenter: Email: ampliodevelopment@gmail.com Website: www.ampliodevelopment.com

Q & A with the Author:


1.      Which did you find more difficult: writing the book or marketing it? Why?
Writing is both terrifying and therapeutic for me. I worry that I am not doing justice to my stories, and fret over finding just the right words. But, when I get into the flow, it is a marvelous and beautiful experience. Marketing feels more like working toward a challenging goal, I know what needs to be done and I get excited about accomplishing each step and experiencing the sweet taste of success. I think writing is more difficult, but also more fulfilling. Marketing is time-consuming, but easier in the sense that "if you follow the right steps", you can sell books. 
2.      What is the best advice you received growing up?
While I am sure that I received advice from multiple sources, I don't recall any of the speeches. What I do remember is watching my father put in countless hours at work, come home to spend time with his family, and then volunteer at church. He toiled and kept at it, and never shunned the duties and hours that accompanied hard work. My mother worked tirelessly at home, raising 7 children, yet she smiled at every meal and every completed homework assignment. She loves being a mother -- and it shows! From them I learned the most important things you can do are work hard and love what you do!


Connect with the Author:


Excerpt #1
Chapter 3 -- The Abyss
His dark brown eyes penetrated mine. As he spoke, I caught glimpses of his almost-straight bottom teeth. I admired his striking features, as I had when I’d first met him years before. Emotion welled inside and I wanted to watch him forever, to memorize every line and bend of his face and store it in a vault so I’d always have it— no matter what happened.
I closed my eyes and inhaled. The scent of his cologne rushed through me and I saw his face perfectly, already imprinted in my mind—the gentle arc of his forehead, the contour of his jaw, the steep slope of his nose, the curve of his cheeks and the way his lips thinned when he smiled. Without opening my eyes or touching his face, I felt the stubbles of black hair in the faint shadow of a beard he wore by day’s end.
All my senses drank Tolan in, and then I opened my eyes to see him again.
“What was that?” he asked.I was picturing you in my head.
“In the picture, was I more handsome, with more hair, than the live version?”
He always tried to make me laugh—it didn’t always work, but I had a greater appreciation for the fact that he still tried.
I didn’t want to cry, to ruin the normal, yet perfect, moment. He put his hand on the back of my neck and pulled my face to his. Our lips met in a gentle kiss. Tolan leaned my head back until it rested on the pillow.
“It isn’t going to end like this, you know.”
“What do you mean?” I asked.
“When we got married, we said it was forever, and I meant it, but I still want you here, now. This is going to work—it has to, because we have too much life left to live, and we are going to do it together.”

He wrapped his arms around me and rolled me onto my side, until I fit neatly in the contours of his body. We lay there, curled together, as close as we could possibly be. Lying in the safe embrace of his arms, I forced myself to believe him.
Check out all the great blogs that are a part of this event by following along on the Facebook page.


No comments:

Post a Comment