Thursday, November 1, 2012

Tag, I'm it - The Next Big Thing

I was tagged by author Karey White to discuss my WIP.
 
What is the working title of your book?
Immortal Mine

Where did the idea come from for the book?
Not really sure. I've always kind of been fascinated with the idea of an immortal, so I thought I'd write a story about one, Sam, who falls in love with a mortal, Niahm (pronounced neeve). Lucky for him she turned out to be an immortal also.

What genre does your book fall under?
Contemporary paranormal romance (YA).

Which actors would you choose to play your chaacters in a movie rendition?

Easy for Sam: Eddie Redmayne (I modeled Sam’s looks after him after watching him in Pillars of the Earth). Tough one for Niahm: maybe Saoirse Ronan or Jennifer Lawrence or Emma Watson, someone who can portray tough, independent and sensitive all at once.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Immortals Sam and Niahm escape to Boston where Sam finally confesses his past.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
Self-pubbed.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript? May we see an intro?
I’m only about 12K words in. I hope to have it finished by December. Here’s the first little bit (subject to change, of course).

I stare at my short, dark hair in the mirror. That and the dark contacts make me appear as a stranger. I’ve never had short hair. I think about just a few weeks ago when I cut it shoulder length as a sort of rebellion in my anger at Sam. It’s laughable now. And weird. I don’t like it. But I suppose my choice is to live with looking different, or give myself up to the Sentinels, the guys who are out to kill my kind.

My kind.

I don’t think I’ll ever get used to that, having a “kind”. Or the idea that I’m going to live forever. What does that even mean? I don’t know, yet. Maybe in a few centuries I will. A few centuries. Never getting old. Never dying—unless the Sentinels have their way, that is.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
I'm not sure. I don't know how many other books there are that are basically contemporary YA romance whose main characters happen to be immortal. It doesn't have strong elements of paranormal. Those things are secondary to Sam and Niahm's story.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?
This is the sequel to Immortal Mine, which I planned originally as a stand-alone. Then I realized I still had so much untold story with Sam's past (I mean, the guy is almost five centuries old) and with resolving some loose ends, that a sequel was required.

What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?
Not only do readers get to find out where Sam and Niahm are now after having escaped the Sentinels who are trying to kill them, but they'll get a look at Sam's history in Ireland when her first discovered his immortality. He wasn't such a nice guy back then! It'll also resolve the mystery of what happened to Jean (Niahm's grandma).

Here's who I'm tagging:
Sherry Gammon
Camelia Miron Skiba
Jeffery Moore
Shannen Crane Camp
Rachel McClellan
 
*Use this format for your post
*Answer the ten questions about your current WIP
*Tag five other writers/bloggers and add their links so we can hop on over to meet them

4 comments:

  1. Let me just begin by saying IM is one of my fav YA stories. I didn't care for Vee, the heroine in the beginning but the more I read, the more I fell in love with her. Beautiful transformation for a heroine who, the more you peel off her layers, the more you find that gem inside. And Cindy has a real talent at creating outstanding stories with loveable characters. Can't wait for the sequel. I better get to read that one ASAP. Did you hear me, Cindy???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo I'm excited for this book :) And this whole blog post is such an awesome idea! Thanks for including me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good idea, isn't it? I wonder who started it. (And you're welcome, BTW)

      Delete